Mustang, Oklahoma, United States
60-ish 'child of the prairie' who loves sewing, baking, knitting and most of all -- family & friends.

Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Bearded iris and 'twirly' skirts



I dug up a few purple iris plants from my Mom's garden two years ago and planted them in the back yard, along our fence.


The iris seem like their new home. Those few plants are now a giant bed of iris over 4 feet wide and some of the blooms top out at 3 ft. Each stalk has at least 4 or 5 blooms in various stages -- from tight buds to spent flowers and each is beautiful in it's own way.


The Bearded Iris always reminds me of spring and Easter -- the grey/green blades and then the almost orchid-like blooms in all the colors of the rainbow.


One year when I was in grade school, my Mom made me a 'Sunday' dress from purple and white checked gingham. It had a fitted bodice, a tie in the back and a full skirt that twirled outwards when I turned round and round (which I was forever doing because it was so much fun). I loved that dress because of the 'twirly' skirt and because it was the very color of purple of the iris blooms in our front yard. Made me feel very stylish for a little girl in a Buster Brown hair cut.