Mustang, Oklahoma, United States
60-ish 'child of the prairie' who loves sewing, baking, knitting and most of all -- family & friends.

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Blooming . . . as high as an elephant's eye

What 20 straight day s of rain can do . . . .

A few weeks ago, I photographed this sunflower at an intersection here in OKC. At that time I promised another picture when sunflowers bloomed --
well, here tis ---


At that time of the first picture, the plant was taller than the trailer of the 18-wheeler beside it -- now that it is blooming, I would estimate the height of the top most flowers at 20 feet !

In my previous post, I re-worked the lyrics of O' What A Beautiful Morning' to reflect our very green summer here in the southern plains -- well, I'm using the same lines again today.

There's a bright, green haze on the side of the road.
There's a bright, green haze on the side of the road.
The sunflowers are as high as an elephant's eye
And it looks like it's climbing clear up to the sky.


I know this is a poor excuse for a picture --
but, it's the best I could do in traffic this morning.