Mustang, Oklahoma, United States
60-ish 'child of the prairie' who loves sewing, baking, knitting and most of all -- family & friends.

Thursday, July 19, 2007

"Merry Women" of Calliope

I never fully realized how music can touch you until I attended a concert last night at our church.
It was the first in our series of Summer Concerts offered this year and I really did not want to go at all. My day had been a hectic day -- a day of beating out fires while alligators nipped at my ankles. All I wanted to do after work was take a nice long bath, get into my pjs and veg out in front of the television.
Unfortunately I serve on the committee that is sponsoring this project, which meant that I needed to be there. My husband and I made our way to the church thinking we would make an appearance, visit for awhile with friends and then after the concert began -- we would slip out the back and head for home.
This plan was changed the minute we heard the 'Merry Women' of Calliope House. With the instruments shown below, these five incredibly talented women had the entire congregation tapping their feet and clapping their hands in time with the lively reels and jigs of Scotland of Ireland -- and, when they sang the sad laments and ballads of lost love, you could see people sitting still, just letting those soft melodies flow over them.
It was an amazing experience and we left the concert with a bounce in our step and the latest Calliope House CD.


http://www.calliophouse.us/

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=165266711&blogID=282172195