Mustang, Oklahoma, United States
60-ish 'child of the prairie' who loves sewing, baking, knitting and most of all -- family & friends.

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Returning to the old standards . . . . .

I'm a 'cookie baker' -- love the entire process of creating cookies.
From gathering the ingredients -- mixing the dough -- baking/cooling -- and, of course -- enjoying the cookies.
Each year at this time I begin my holiday cookie baking; and, each year I try to add a new cookie recipe to my 'tried/true' recipes. In the past I've made Mocha Ice-Box Cookies, Spritz Cookies, Santa's Whiskers Cookies, Double Chocolate Fudge, and many more types/varieties of cookies. Some of the new cookies were good -- some were fed to the birds (and in some cases even the birds wouldn't touch them!).
This year, I'm only baking my old standards -- the classic cookies: Oatmeal, Chocolate Chip, Snickerdoodles, Gingerbread, Kahlua Balls. And, as of this past weekend, the cookie baking has begun with three batches of cookies baked and in the freezer for Christmas feasting and gifting.
Here's my Oatmeal Cookie recipe -- the original recipe is from the Quaker Oats Box.
Famous Oatmeal Cookies
  • 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup vegetable shortening
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3 cups Quaker Oats (quick or old fashioned) uncooked
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt

Heat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, beat brown sugar, shortening, granulated sugar until creamy. Add egg, water and vanilla; beat well. Add combined oats, flour, salt and baking soda; mix well. Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookies sheets. Bake 11-13 minutes (less time for a chewy cookies - more time for a crisp cookie, which ever you prefer). Remove to wire racks to cool completely. Store tightly covered for 2-3 days or may be frozen in zip-lock backs for up to 3 months. Yield: 5 dozen (I always double this recipe)

Great with a cold glass of milk ! And, I do believe that Santa really likes these cookies !!