Mustang, Oklahoma, United States
60-ish 'child of the prairie' who loves sewing, baking, knitting and most of all -- family & friends.

Thursday, January 10, 2008

A present to myself . . . .

A totally 'improvised pattern' scarf -- just for me.
Over the years, I've made many scarves both crocheted and knitted. In fact, crocheting scarves, one after the other - helped me keep my sanity a few years ago. After complications following heart surgery, Willy Jay was in Intensive Care for weeks and making scarves kept my mind on stitching instead of all the other alternatives. That year for Christmas, everyone got a scarf! But in all that scarf production, I've never made one for myself.
This Christmas I resolved to remedy that omission. I took myself to my local yarn shop and walked up and down the aisles -- petting all the yarn until I found one that I fell in love with --Plymouth Baby Alpaca Grande in shades of blue/green/purple.
Scarf Front:
Scarf Back:
The pattern is cobbled together from a couple of patterns I've used in the past -- this time I just knitted/purled as I felt like it and I'm very pleased with my very own scarf-in-progress.
Pattern (as I remember it)
Yarn: 2 Skeins Plymouth Baby Alpaca Grande Yarn 100% Baby Alpaca 100 gram balls, approximately 110 yards
Gauge: 3 sts to 1" on US 10.5 needles.
Cast on 24 stitches.
Rows 1-5: knit
Additional Rows: knit 3, purl to last three stitches, knit 3, then knit the next row, creating very nice, smooth stockinet stitch. Continue that stitch combination until the stockinet stitch block is a size that is pleasing to you -- then knit 3-4 rows and do the same on the back side of the scarf. This creates blocks of smooth stockinet separated by nice loopy knit/garter stitches. End your scarf with 5 rows of knit stitches and bind off loosely. Block gently and wear proudly.
This is my Christmas present to myself -- I've named it: ' The Oohh! Scarf ' -- because that's what everyone says as they touch it for the first time -- because it is truly 'oohh' so soft !!