Mustang, Oklahoma, United States
60-ish 'child of the prairie' who loves sewing, baking, knitting and most of all -- family & friends.

Monday, February 18, 2008

Cranberry Nut Muffins

As I was cleaning out my freezer over the weekend, I found a bag of cranberries left over from the holidays. And, just as I cannot throw away bananas -- I could not just chunk these pretty red berries. I dug out my trusty Bed & Breakfast Cookbook and found a recipe for muffins. Of course I 'tweaked' it a little (added orange peel and vanilla) and I'm pleased with the results -- in fact, this was my breakfast this morning.


Cranberry Nut Muffins

  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
  • 3/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
  • cinnamon/sugar

In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, orange peel, vanilla and sugar - mix well. Add dry ingredients to egg mixture and stir just until blended; fold in cranberries and nuts. Sprinkle muffins with cinnamon/sugar before baking in well-greased muffin pans at 375-400 degrees for 20 minutes for regular size muffins and 25-30 minutes for large muffins. Muffins can be re-heated in a 250 oven for 15 minutes. Also may be frozen in zip-lock bags. Yield: 20 muffins (12 large muffins)

Note: Baby Laney came home on Friday afternoon and is doing much better. Thank you again for all the phone calls, notes, prayers and good thoughts sent our way. We could feel them this past week and they kept us going. Thank you again.