Mustang, Oklahoma, United States
60-ish 'child of the prairie' who loves sewing, baking, knitting and most of all -- family & friends.

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Ranting on and on

I was going to write about the "Evil Daylight Saving Time" change this past weekend and what it does to our body clocks this first week. But, as I was trying to get a picture of the sun just coming up as I made my way to work - - - - I noticed this - - - -
Now, I need to tell you that gasoline at this large chain store was $2.98 yesterday afternoon at 4:35 pm. What ever happened to a jump in price of a penny or two overnight ? Not 9 cents !
I realize that here in Oklahoma we have cheaper gas than most states in the nation -- but, it's still too high. And, because most of our goods are trucked into the state -- we see the effect of raising fuel costs every time we run by for a gallon of milk or a loaf of bread. This past Saturday, the cost of a quart of milk was the price a gallon sold for just 12 months ago.
When did the price of gasoline become such a volatile commodity ?? How did that happen --and, why hasn't someone (like in Washington, D.C.) hauled those big oil executives in front of the cameras and demanded some answers?
Don't get me wrong -- our state has benefited from the Oil & Gas industry and I'm the daughter of an oilfield worker -- but, things have changed over the past 20 years. Oil companies no longer take care of their employees or the land for that matter -- and with the record-setting profits the oil companies are posting -- I think we can see who the heck is benefiting from these high prices.
It's certainly not the American consumer !