Mustang, Oklahoma, United States
60-ish 'child of the prairie' who loves sewing, baking, knitting and most of all -- family & friends.

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Quick & Simple Baby Gift

Raggedy Burp Cloths

Cut out burp cloths -- using 'handy dandy' pattern that I've used for years. Can't even remember where I got it (I think I traced it from a burp cloth my daughter received as a baby gift). I like pre-wash the flannel but it isn't necessary.

Sometimes I use the same print for both sides -- sometimes I like to mix it up. Just depends on my mood and the amount of flannel I have available.



Using a 1-inch seam allowance, with wrong sides together, sew all around the burp cloth. Remember you need room to make those raggedy fringes.



After all the burp cloths are sewn -- cut the fringe using a pair of short scissors (I've found that the kid's school scissors work very well). Make each raggedy fringe as wide or narrow as you like -- it will look nice and do it's job no matter what size the fringe may be. After the fringe is cut, throw the almost finished burp cloths in the dryer with a load of laundry and let them 'ragg' for a few minutes. Take them out, fold in half, stack three together and roll -- then tie with a ribbon.


Raggedy Burp Cloths

Very pretty and practical ---- because as everyone knows --

when you have a baby -- spit-up happens !!!!