There are many parents this morning who are numb with shock.
They have lost a child.
I know these young people who died yesterday were not in the strictest sense 'children' -- but to a parent, they were still their child.
- The child that they brought home from the hospital with such hope and joy.
- The child they watched grow from a baby to a toddler, walking around on wobbly legs.
- The child who shyly held onto their hand as they both stepped into that first classroom together.
- The child who needed their help with homework, earning scouting badges, chores around the house and science projects.
- The child, in cap and gown, who walked to a podium to accept a high school diploma.
- The child they helped move into a college dorm room.
- The child they will make funeral arrangements for this week . . . .
My heart aches for families of all of the victims -- they will need our prayers today and for many days to come.