Mustang, Oklahoma, United States
60-ish 'child of the prairie' who loves sewing, baking, knitting and most of all -- family & friends.

Friday, August 31, 2007

I got mail !

With the popularity of cell phone today, it should not be a surprise to any of us that correspondence in the old-fashioned written form is becoming a forgotten art.
Now, don't get me wrong, I love to use my cell phone as much, if not more, than the average person. And --- yes, I can call correspondence --- art --- because, being able to communicate your thoughts, compassion, dreams, and opinions through pen/paper or keyboard/Internet is an art form.
That said, I need to say that I simply adore receiving correspondence from family or friends; and, greeting cards are my very favorite.
I Love arriving home to find mail addressed just to me laying on the counter --- there's the anticipation of opening the pretty envelope --- catching that first glimpse of 'my' card --- chosen especially for me. I can't wait to read the greeting and if it has a hand-written greeting as well -- then that a very good thing indeed.
Also, I have to confess that I'm such a sentimental fool that I save greeting cards.
Can't bear to throw them out.
Some of the greeting cards I receive are transformed into bookmarks --- by cutting out a pretty design from the front or even from the envelope, they make a perfect little pretty way to mark you place. And, each time I use my 'greeting-card-bookmark', I am reminded of the person who sent the card --- which always makes me smile.
Some greeting cards are meant to be treasured --- they speak to my heart. Those special cards are placed in a very large hat box given to me by a friend who knows me (and my hoarding spirit) very well.
Yesterday I arrived home to find mail for me.
Two cards from my 'hat-box-giving' friend.
I love them both --- one will become a bookmark for the book I'm currenting reading - Lisey's Story, by Stephen King and one will go to live in the hat box along with many more cards sent by this dear friend and sister of my heart.
Note to Linda -- I'm working on my meditation mantra -- I think it would work very nicely with one of your Ginger Snap Cookies !!!